Speaking & Listening
Language provides the foundation of thinking and learning and is prioritised with high quality adult-child interactions and daily speaking and listening sessions. We use a range of approaches including planning the teaching of vocabulary, modelling and extending children's language and thinking during interactions and activities, such as reading.
Collaborative activities that provide opportunities to learn/hear language also provide opportunities for wider learning through talk. Social skills and problem solving as well as knowledge are developed.
We aim to:
- enable the children to express themselves clearly using standard spoken English.
- encourage the children to listen attentively to others and value their opinions, as well as learning to concentrate on and carry out instructions.
- encourage the children to read fluently, confidently and with understanding. We hope that this will foster an enjoyment of reading throughout their lives.
- encourage the children to write in different ways for different purposes and to become confident, independent writers.
- encourage handwriting that is legible and correct use of spelling and punctuation.